Friday, January 16, 2009

Snow Day~ by Mel

snow day


Life's simple pleasures... The chilled breeze on an early spring day, the look of love in they eyes of a beloved pet, the way a piece of chocolate tastes in your mouth after a month of dieting, the joy from a deal on shoes that were way too expensive to buy anyway, the way sand feels between your toes, the sound of the voice of someone you love, an unexpected text that makes your day, the ring of the phone announcing the words...snow day! Today the weather is beyond frigid. My weatherman said it is something like 20 below. And while the icy temperatures outside are not as welcomed by most in the world they are certainly welcomed by teachers and students everywhere. Happy snow day to all! The picture above is some of my students watching the snow come down as it has many times this year while we were at school. The poem below was actually sent to me from my principal who thought we teachers might get a kick out of it and of course I did!

Teacher's Prayer for Snow
Oh Lord, let it snow. 
Let it drift and let it blow. 
In the morning, no real fuss, 
Just enough to stop the bus. 
Enough to make the county say: 
"There will be no school today." 
Let the radio report: "Snow's deep!"
And I'll roll over for more sleep. 
Then later on, say maybe ten, 
I'll turn the radio on again. 
Just in time to hear them say: 
"It's strange, the snow has gone away." 
And then I'll know, You made it stop. 
So I can go to the mall and shop. 
Please Lord, just hear my teacher's plea, 
And make it snow for the kids and me.

- John Hillen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice to see me get credit again for the poem I wrote some twenty years ago about my school teacher wife. I wrote the poem one evening after a flurry (pun intended0 of phone calls among teachers at her school about the weather forecasters predicting a heavy snowfall in Fairfax, Virginia overnight. The poem expresses their sentiments and desires. There were not many snow days, but they were to be treasured! -- John Hillen

About Me

My photo
We are best friends who have started an amazing journey of this photography business. Faith grounds us, family surrounds us and friendship unites us!

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones