Monday, March 2, 2009

Have Your Cake...And Eat It? ~by Mel

Photobucket

Children's Entry
This week's i heart faces contest is all about messy.  This children's entry is not a photo I took in anticipation of this contest, in fact it is really one of the only messy photos I had in my collection.  My niece Rylan recently celebrated her first birthday and much to all of our surprise she was eating quite gingerly with a spoon.  She was not even really eating much cake at all.  We all sat and watched her as if she was some magic act about to reveal her trick.  I think she must have been pondering why we were all staring and she must have believed we are all crazy adults to watch her so closely with our wide opened eyes. So after all of this intense gazing people started to clear out. I of course braced with my camera still sat there snapping away...I mean you can never have too many pictures of a one year old not eating cake right? Anyway finally when the spoon was out of site and someone guided the cake into Ry's hand she began to eat it and she put on quite the cute little show. She was making fun faces and really enjoying this little slice of Heaven. This was towards the end of the cake eating and her expression is just priceless. It is almost like she is saying..."Okay cuckoo people...show is over!"
 

Photobucket

Adult's Entry
My adult entry is a happy newly married couple. At first I didn't think I had any messy adult photos to enter but upon reviewing my images I found this one that I think works for the theme. There is nothing like that first bite of wedding cake. Although, when I got married we had a very strict "no messy face" clause. Anyway I thought this was such a real and cute moment and we can't fault the groom too much here as he has not done the complete smash. And hey...cake is making a second appearance. I would say that cake is coming full circle here. From a first birthday to a wedding day. Who knew?

Head over to i heart faces and see what kind of mess you can get into!

21 comments:

Carebear said...

This is so sweet - one of the best so far! Some of my favorite photos of my firstborn are his first birthday cake eating. Unfortunately, I lost the electronic versions in a lightning strike and only have prints, otherwise I would've used a cake pic for my entry too! Great choice! She's adorable.

Anonymous said...

What a sweety. Nothing like birthday cake pics.

Rachel said...

Very sweet - love her serious expression while the evidence of her enjoyment of the cake is still there!

Christi said...

Love how she has just a little bit on her eye. I think this is the cleanest 1st birthday cake picture I've ever seen. LOL

McKay Family said...

And cake mess is so fun to clean up. Love the eyes!

Unknown said...

Your right. She looks so peaceful now that her work of eating her first piece of cake is complete.

Anonymous said...

Cute photo! You're right - you can never have enough photos of kids eating cake. :)

Audrey said...

So sweet! Look at that serious face! Great capture!

Lara said...

What a sweet picture. She just looks so contemplative and serious. I love the lighting too.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Is this the same niece you sent me photos of the other day? She's grown up a LOT! What an absolute cutie. :)

~Angie
co-founder of I ♥ Faces

Anonymous said...

It's the only way to eat cake!

Melinda said...

I love those first birthday cake photos. They are always so cute and yet so messy. Great job!

4chalseys@blogger said...

What a great picture! So sweet. I love the words on the bib. She is just so cute!

Unknown said...

I almost posted a cake-in-the-highchair pic, too! I love this one!!

tiarastantrums said...

cute photo

Unknown said...

I LOVE this picture so much. The colors and contrast are amazing -- so great! :-) What a cutie!

Mary said...

I really like your adult entry. It captures such a fun and special moment for the newlyweds.

I had the same thing happen to my son with his first birthday. He was very careful and cautious to not get dirty. We kind of encourage the issue by sticking some cake right in front of his face to dig into sans hands. Worked like a charm and he got good and messy.

Mireille said...

Great and beautiful pictures, well done!! Adorable little boy!!

Unknown said...

Your pictures are just AMAZING! I love how the white backdrop make the baby really stand out...(beautiful!)

Anonymous said...

Both of those shots are just wonderful!

Jessica
www.MomShots.com

Carebear said...

Yay! Congrats on your adult top ten!

About Me

My photo
We are best friends who have started an amazing journey of this photography business. Faith grounds us, family surrounds us and friendship unites us!

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones