Monday, March 9, 2009

Cream of the Crop~ by Mel

Children's Entry

Photobucket

This week's i heart faces contest is all about the creative crop. There were two definitions of cropping. One was cropping a photo you already had taken and making it into something new. The other definition was a cropped look that came when you took the photo. With both of my photos I chose the latter in terms of my cropping. To be honest I rarely ever crop items after the photo is taken. I try to hit the shot straight out of the camera if I can. I had a few photos (in my large photo library) that I had cropped after the pic was taken that I considered using this week's contest but ultimately these two photos won out. There is no before picture of either image as they are in the original from. (except for some post-processing for color and borders that were added)--My children's entry is a picture of one of my Kindergarten students. (Along with my passion for photography comes my passion for teaching) I caught him hard at work and I had to capture him. My adult's entry is my husband intensely looking down the field ready to make a big play at the annual family "Turkey Bowl." I snapped this image of him and really liked it. I realize there is another person faintly showing in the background but I left him in as I thought it added to the image. To me this looks like an old newspaper photo or something. And aren't men all legends in their own minds? :) Both of my images this week are straight out of the camera crops that have caught life in the moment...that is what I LOVE about taking photos. Real, true, and honest moments are what it is all about!

Adult's Entry

Photobucket

Head over to i heart faces and see many other images that are the cream of the crop!

14 comments:

mylittlegems said...

I love both of those photos for I ♥ faces! Both are great!

Carrie said...

Both images are absolutely STUNNING! Wonderful entries :)

MangyCat said...

Love that adult entry. There's so much movement to it!

Shae said...

Great entries. I like the tones.

Anonymous said...

I especially admire the adult entry. The positioning focuses on the man's energy and action. Showing the space ahead of him highlights the possibilities of what he might be about to do (become a legend maybe! ;) ). It also emphasizes his forward-tilt, which expresses such speed and determination. It really makes me feel like I'm witnessing a living moment, not just a still frame. Wonderful work!!

Unknown said...

Ooooo... I love your adult entry! awesome! :)

Melinda said...

Wow! Such beatiful photos and what a perfect quote to go along with the kids photo.

Red said...

great entries, your framing really adds to the photo

Kate said...

Great entries! I just love the crisp black and white! Great job!

Toki Lee Kanitz said...

Me too! I rarely crop after I shoot although I do sometimes add a tilt. Thank you for sharing!!

{Chey}enne said...

They're both great, I especially like the adult entry. good job!

Annette said...

Very nice, I like both your entries. Original, terrific cropping and processing.

Carebear said...

Wow - great in camera cropping. I'm still trying to figure out composition myself! Your entries are both wonderful. Love the expression on your kid's face, and LOL about the "legend in their own minds" comment for your adult! Ha Ha!

I Heart Faces said...

These are both wonderful entries Mel! I'm loving that beautiful quote on the Kids entry.

~Angie
co-founder of I ♥ Faces

About Me

My photo
We are best friends who have started an amazing journey of this photography business. Faith grounds us, family surrounds us and friendship unites us!

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones