Monday, February 23, 2009

Life is Black and White~by Mel

Kid's Entry
Photobucket

This week's i heart faces contest focuses on images processed using black and white. I myself adore black and most pictures in my home that are of my husband and I (professionally done) I had made into black and white. There is just something about how much you see the expression of the subject and the emotion that comes through when there is nothing else to be distracted with like bold colors or other bells and whistles. Black and white can capture as nothing else can and there are so many ways you can do black and white--bold, subtle, soft or dramatic. The options are endless. This week the contest focuses on straight up black and white--no tinting or adding in other colors to the BW. The feel of black and white is like nothing else and while I love to live life in color I enjoy processing my photos in the glorious world of black and white!
In my kid's entry I think you can really focus on the expression in Avery's face and I love that she is not doing your typical smile. I find this expression much more interesting. In my adult's entry I photographed a new Mom and her love and care is easily seen as she cradles her precious little one.

Adult's Entry
Photobucket

Show off some of your own black and white images or just browse many other beautiful photos at www.iheartfaces.com.

24 comments:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Lovely shots - each of them. The processing is quite perfect - I especially love the tone created by your adult entry. Gorgeous!

Julie Rivera said...

Black and white is also amazing when you have great texture, as in the rock wall and plaid coat of your child entry. Of the two, though, I think I have to give a nod to your adult entry and teh sharp contrast of the image. It really is wonderful!

Carebear said...

Wow! Amazing entries. Love everything about the first one - that coat was made for this! And the second one is so beautiful - great processing - looks almost like a painting, and definitely one i'd hang on my wall!

DawnS said...

Both shots are beautiful - but I especially love the adult entry. It brings me back to the first time I held my sweet baby after coming home from the hospital! Lovely!!

Melinda said...

Once again, you have submitted some amazing photographs. I love the vintage look of the first and the second just pulled at my heartstrings. Great job!

Unknown said...

Both of these are amazing! You have a real gift for photography. :)

Joannof10 said...

Beautiful, amazing pictures!

Katarina said...

I love the photo of the litle girl. It is so timeless. Great photos.

The Animator's Wife said...

Such good choices for this week!

Unknown said...

Wow. Beautiful entries! LOVE your daughter in her coat. I think it is a classic picture. Very endearing! Love the Mama and her baby also. That is such a timeless beauty!

Adrienne Zwart said...

Wow, both photos are stunning!

Teresa said...

Wow, these are gorgeous, Mel! Both are perfect in b&w. I love the contrast. The expression on your daughter's face is wonderful. As is the expression on the mommmy's face.

IMAGEine Couture Photography said...

Thank you everyone for such wonderful comments...it is always nice to hear from you! The little girl is actually my niece Avery. I am blessed that I get to photograph my family!

Skeller said...

I always look forward to your entries. These are both lovely.

Untypically Jia said...

That second one is just beyond beautiful!

gretchen said...

That little girl in the coat is priceless...and I love the second picture as well. Amazing!

Randi said...

Both photos are wonderful! I especially love the coat in that first one :)

Bling - our elf on the shelf said...

Both your photos are a great piece of art, but I truly love the first one the most :)

Ohilda said...

Just beautiful! I especially love the top one. It gives an air of timeless beauty.

Tiffany said...

I love all the different textures in your kids entry and I love her little face.
I also love the emotion captured in your adult entry. The angle is very sweet. I agree with you on black and white there is something about that draws you into the people.

Janice said...

Beautiful entries! I really love how you have captured the emotion on the second photo!!!

Anonymous said...

These photos really stand out among the other entries. Your processing is awesome! Good luck...I won't be suprised if I see you as one of the winners this week.

Drew said...

I love how in the kid's photo, the coat just adds to the picture. What a beautiful little girl!

The photo of mom and baby is so sweet. I love the emotion in it!

Anonymous said...

They are both very moody and intimate. Great shots!

About Me

My photo
We are best friends who have started an amazing journey of this photography business. Faith grounds us, family surrounds us and friendship unites us!

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones