Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Stop and smell the flowers~by Mel

     I am a very blessed person and this is one thing I am certain of in life.  The fact that I know this however does not keep my mind from worry, anxiety or the clouds of insecurity that wash over me like thrashing waves on a stormy night.  
     To combat these feelings of doubt I find it helpful to take time out.  Time to "stop and smell the roses"  (or flowers) in life.   Too often we find ourselves busy with the hustle and bustle and we miss life's simplest pleasures and opportunities for growth.  We allow our own thoughts and questions to take over and we forget life's beauty and Christ's abundant love for us.   Like the flowers in a garden blossom over time we too are called to bloom where we are planted and flourish in the warmth of Christ's love.  And so begins the story of the flowers.
     Several weeks ago after Mass, Chad and I rushed home to meet my parents.  We knew they were coming over to visit and we were excited to spend a lazy Sunday with them in honor of Chad's birthday.  Dinner at Pioneer Mill would be on the agenda and of course chatting about the week's events would inevitably occur.  Chad and my Dad would take turns cracking jokes and with each bit of wit, I would reflect on why I adore those men to pieces.  Mom would show up with bags of goodies collected since the last time she visited that she would proudly present upon arrival.  Mom still spoils me to this day and now Chad also partakes in her spoiling. (in a good way of course)-- 
     As our car turned the corner for home we noticed something in our front yard.  Flowers!  Flat after flat of gloriously colored flowers!  We pulled into our driveway and I squealed with delight at the little wonders of pink and red that greeted me.  My parents had surprised us with flowers to plant in the front of our home. I felt like a child on Christmas morning.  Delighted in the moment I rushed from the car and embraced my parents.  I was thankful, thrilled, nostalgic and proud all at once.  
     The flowers were obviously the material gift, however my parents gave us so much more that day. They had given us the gift of their love, their time and most importantly themselves. Who they are is more exquisite than the rarest flower and that includes those that currently bloom in my garden.  Their joy was in our joy and their happiness was in our happiness.  They took time out to stop and experience life and they helped us to do that as well.  You cannot put a price on how important sharing life is with those you love.  Pure contentment can be found in those little moments of just being together.  
     I am grateful that I was able to smell the flowers in my life that day.  Everyday we have the chance to soak up life and the goodness we have been given from day to day.   So take time out today...stop...smell the flowers.  
* Sidenote*  
     My Dad came back the following weekend and brought more flowers with him to finish our garden. (yes this was another unexpected treat!)  He and I spent the day together and I LOVED every minute.  Dirt under my fingernails never felt so good!  

No comments:

About Me

My photo
We are best friends who have started an amazing journey of this photography business. Faith grounds us, family surrounds us and friendship unites us!

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones